Monday, January 17, 2011

29

Some people may say what the heck does 29 mean. Well...it was my blood sugar Friday night after I inadvertently OD'd on insulin. It happens, I just miss calculated my carb intake and got my ass whopped by a hypoglycemic reaction. It started off with a light-headed feeling and then progressed to sweats and a wicked stomach ache. It felt like I was going to ralph! I was low earlier but had a large glass of OJ and a granola bar. Should have done the trick. I would have been SOL if I didn't have that because my blood sugar would have dropped way lower than 29!

My hero Molly hopped right up our of bed to help! Did I mention this was around midnight??? She helped me get by shot of liquid glucose open (thank you CVS for making the package way harder than what a hypoglycemic person can handle to open) and some additional snacks for me. I the morning my blood sugar rounded out at 124! Crazy diabetes night!

Here are the WebMD symptoms of hypoglycemia:

What are the symptoms?

The symptoms can be different depending on how low your blood sugar level drops.

  • Mild hypoglycemia can make you feel hungry or like you want to vomit. You could also feel jittery or nervous. Your heart may beat fast. You may sweat. Or your skin might turn cold and clammy.
  • Moderate hypoglycemia often makes people feel short-tempered, nervous, afraid, or confused. Your vision may blur. You could also feel unsteady or have trouble walking.
  • Severe hypoglycemia can cause you to pass out. You could have seizures. It could even cause a coma or death.

If you've had hypoglycemia during the night, you may wake up tired or with a headache. And you may have nightmares. Or you may sweat so much during the night that your pajamas or sheets are damp when you wake up.

I think it's safe to say I was well into the moderate level!

No comments: