Thursday, January 29, 2009

Finally!!!

My bloodsugars have been crazy lately. I wasn't sure why since one's bloodsugar can be effected by food, activity, time of day, current health (cold/sick), insulin sensitivity, metabolism, etc. etc. Sooo, where do you start? I started by testing my BS like crazy, every time I did something pretty much. You have to get that frequent testing in to see where, when and why fluctuations happen.

**A perfect reason to call my Dr. to get started on CGM (continuous glucose monitoring) which talks directly to my insulin pump**

The problem seemed to be at night. I would wake up in the middle of the night with a BS well into the 200's (normal = 80-120). After night after night of tinkering with basal rates I got it!!! My basal rate between 8pm and midnight was too low allowing my BS to creep up like a bad wedgie. My 12am basal rate was perfect and would not let my BS go any higher but would not bring it back down like a bolus of insulin would, hence getting up to take a leak and bolus to bring my BS out of the stratosphere.

Bottom line, cranked up my basal rates from 8-midnight keeping my BS level and left the 12am basal rate alone since it was doing what it should have been.

Just another day in the life of a diabetic!!! Oh, then add the rest of life and work on top of all this. :)

1 comment:

Kim said...

Just think what your blood sugar was doing at night back in your 'responsible' days of college!